Friday, October 14, 2016

Current Decisions that Reduce Income Risk

I have always been hesitant to spend money where it is not needed. Even when I was as young as 10, I would never spend my money. My younger brother was quite spontaneous in his purchases of the newest toys and games, but I always valued saving over spending. However, over the years, I became less "cheap" per say. Now more than ever, having less than one year left in school, I am making decisions with my future income in the back of my head at all times.

You could say in terms of my spending risk, I am a hard dove. Maybe dollar bets here and there with my friends when college or professional sports are on, but nothing more. Having the safety net of good credit and money in the savings account, puts me at ease, but things are about to change.

This notion of self-reliance really settled in my mind during the summer between my sophomore and junior year. I had dropped engineering as a whole because I had simply lost the love for it. The whole reason I applied to the engineering school at Illinois in the first place was for the sizable check waiting for me at my first job afterwards. After my third semester, my complete lack of interest got the best of me. Plus, the culture surrounding that major just wasn't my style. I needed more engagement and interaction with my peers. The only problem was that I couldn't switch into the business school because I was already a sophomore and that school only allowed freshman and rising freshman to apply. After much research and communication with my parents and mentors, I landed on economics, knowing that I had a interest in the subject, it's a "business-like" major and that steady pay came with the degree.

A steady paycheck would be great, but how will I make it to that point when that first paycheck arrives? I already told my parents to completely shut me off at the start of September 2017. After enlightening my parents with the news I started to really think. I have a little money saved up, but that amount will not be sufficient if I want to live in downtown Chicago where I hope to find that steady paycheck. I needed to find a way to make money while still being a full time student-athlete.

After talking it through with my parents, we came upon the decision that I was going to speak with their investment banker. I could do the research and invest myself, but that is a higher risk scenario and with amount of money and time I have, risky is not an option. I sat down with the investment banker under a month ago and she asked me what I wanted to invest in. I honestly had no idea. The only thing I care about is getting a positive return on my investment and quickly if possible, but I know these things take time to really make an impact. Hesitantly, I brought up the idea of investing in champaign real estate since Illinois is trying to up its enrollment to 100,000 students and there are apartments flying up all over campus. She said she'd do some research and get back to me with some options. Also, she brought up some different ideas that all sounded exciting and easy, but we all know, that nothing is set and stone. Just waiting now to hear back from her.

Along with the future investments, I make decisions daily to save money and lower my future income risk. For instance, varsity room. The varsity room is the place connected to the south side of Memorial Stadium where student-athletes can grab food for free. It sounds great, but I'm telling you the food is well below average. There's no variety, the quality is somewhat poor and there aren't many options to choose from. It would be so much better to just eat at Chipotle or Noodles. However, before varsity room, the majority of my payments made each week were food related. By going to varsity room despite its mediocrity, I am saving money and eliminating some future income risk. Even though my parents would be paying for my meals outside the varsity room, I am adapting and getting rid of old habits to eventually help with reducing income risk as I enter the "real world."





3 comments:

  1. I gather from this that a career in tennis is not in the cards. Is that right?

    So, regarding the varsity room, and I'm saying this a bit tongue in cheek, skinny tennis players may be okay, but skinny football players doesn't cut it. And I assume those guys consume a lot of calories. Do they not care what they eat? Or do they have the same misgivings as you?

    On your parents cutting you off after a certain date, I have a friend from graduate school who has done something similar with his kids, but I'd ask, is it really credible. If you totally screw up and don't find a job will your parents really turn their back on you in that case? The other part of this is whether you need such a draconian incentive to motivate you to find real work. I'm guessing not.

    You actually didn't write at all about the job market, which differentiated you from your classmates but otherwise seemed a bit weird unless you envision yourself an investor extraordinaire and that becomes your work. Incidentally, on your idea of Champaign real estate being an interesting market - on the fundamentals you said something about demand, but you need to also think about supply and how competitive that is. I don't know whether there is a profit opportunity there or not, but you need a fuller picture to make that determination.

    I am writing this on Tuesday morning. This post showed up in my reader for the first time this morning. I'm not sure why.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I had a similar question regarding the part where you referenced a point of being "cut-off" by your parents. Do you feel like it was a real "cut-off" or did you have a sense of your parents being somewhat of a safety net? I ask this because my parents did a similar thing of not providing me with spending money when going to college, but I always had the sense of if I were truly in need, they would provide me with the necessary funds. This is in a sense gave the illusion of risk in my financial decisions, when in reality I knew that any debt accrued from taking risks could be solved by my parents if necessary.

    ReplyDelete